Twitter released the first quarter results for 2019 on July 26, 2019. We will let you know as soon as these new data-points have officially been updated. We are finding that a large number of digital marketers are increasingly leveraging the power of Twitter to extend the message of their brand. To frankly and openly discuss the potential power of all social media channels email Dan Noyes at [email protected] to discuss how these changes could impact your brand.
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) Worldwide: 330 million monthly active users Q1 2019 versus 321 for Q4 2018 and 326 million for Q3 2018. However, please note this was not reported for Q2 2019 as noted below. The new key metric we’ll need to monitor moving forward will be mDAU or Monetizeable Daily Active Users. First-quarter metrics represents a 2 million MAU increase in the United States from 66 million MAU for Q4 2018. By comparison Quarter 1 2018 was 69 million MAU. In contrast, the fourth quarter of 2017 and first quarter 2018 numbers showed an increase of 6 million in total Global MAU from 330 million MAU (Q4’17) to 336 million (Q1’18) MAU. Previous increases may have been due, in part, to new technology improvements. According to Twitter, “In Q1, we further refined the timeline to display a broader set of Tweets from a person’s network and applied deep learning models to show the most relevant Tweets first.” (source: Twitter)
- Twitter has increased their year over year Monetizeable Daily Active Users (mDAU) by 14 percent. Last quarter they saw an 11 percent year over year growth. As noted above mDAU is the new metric that Twitter has made a priority. Twitter has said that mDAU consists of two parts: 1.) It shows when a Twitter user logs into their account or accesses Twitter on any given day through Twitter.com or a Twitter application and 2.) they that are able to see ads. This would avoid counting spam accounts and the traffic they represent. Jack Dorsey, Twitter’s CEO, said “…we continued to leverage machine learning to deliver more relevant content, driving increased usage of Twitter on a daily basis, with mDAU up 14% year-over-year.” To learn more you might want to read the Q2 2019 Letter to Shareholders (https://investor.twitterinc.com/financial-information/quarterly-results/default.aspx). We are excited to see how this growth in daily active users continues to change over time. (source: Twitter)
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) United States 68 million Q1 2019. This represents a two percent increase from the previous quarter which showed 66 million for Q4 2018 and then 67 million for Q3 2018. (source: Twitter)
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) International is 262 million for Q1 2019 which is a three percent increase in MAUs over the previous quarter with was 255 million active international users. (source: Twitter)
- Daily Active User (DAU) year over year growth has increased by 11 percent for 2019. This is an increase from Q4 year over year growth which represented a 9 percent growth.
- Total revenue was approximately $841 million in Q2, an increase of 18% year over year. (source: Twitter)
- Twitter advertising revenue for Q2 2019 was $727 million compared to Q1 2019 of $679 million. According to Twitter “Advertising revenue totaled $727 million, an increase of 21% year-over-year or 23% on a constant currency basis. Total ad engagements increased 20% year-over-year.” (source: Twitter – https://s22.q4cdn.com/826641620/files/doc_financials/2019/q2/Q2-2019-Earnings-Press-Release.pdf)
- Most popular retweet – The honor according to Wikipedia goes to Yusaku Maezawa which received 4.72 million retweets for the following tweet: https://twitter.com/yousuck2020/status/1081544630754103296/photo/1
- According to eMarketer nearly 66 percent of the businesses who have 100 or more employees have a Twitter account and expect it to rise into 2019.
- Two most popular Twitter accounts (@katyperry and @BarackObama) who collectively have over 215 million followers (108 million – Perry and 107 million – President Obama). (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-followed_Twitter_accounts)
- Extra Stat: Top Twitter trend to watch – keep an eye on the following brands: @SouthwestAir who prides themselves about always being about people and that social media needs to be a reflection of the corporate culture. We also can’t say enough about our favorite brand, @Disney
Let’s Get Connected
To learn more about Twitter statistics you’ll love the information from Twitter themselves (https://s22.q4cdn.com/826641620/files/doc_financials/2019/q2/Q2-2019-Shareholder-Letter.pdf)