Twitter Top 10 Statistics
Twitter released the second quarter results for 2018 on July 27, 2018. The next Twitter earnings report with updated Twitter statistics is scheduled for October 25, 2018, at 8:00 AM EDT. Please let us know if you’d like to be notified with the updates as soon as we can have them published.
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) Worldwide: 335 million Q2 2018. This represents a 1 million MAU decrease in the United States from 69 million MAU to 68 MAU. In contrast, the fourth quarter of 2017 and first quarter 2018 numbers showed an increase of 6 million in total MAU from 330 million MAU to 336 million MAU. Previous increases may have been due, in part, to new technology improvements. According to Twitter, “In Q1, we further refined the timeline to display a broader set of Tweets from a person’s network and applied deep learning models to show the most relevant
Tweets first.” (source: Twitter – http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/AMDA-2F526X/6351299748x0x982956/287E1B9D-2342-4735-9A8E-D0DA7A614CB1/Q2_2018_Slide_Presentation.pdf)
- Twitter has increased their year over year Daily Active Users (DAU) by 11 percent year-over-year. We are excited to see Q3 results. (source: Twitter)
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) United States 68 million Q2 2018 (source: Twitter). This is a slight decrease from the previous quarter of approximately one percent.
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) International is 267 million for Q2 2018 which is a nine million increase in MAUs over the previous year. (source: Twitter)
- Daily Active User (DAU) year over year growth has increased 11 percent for Q2 2018 over Q1 2018 which showed a 10 percent increase. (source: Twitter) This is compared to a 12 percent increase shown in 2017 Q2.
- Advertising cost-per-engagement (year over year) for Twitter has decreased by 32 percent for Q1 2018 (source: Twitter)
- Twitter ad engagements for Q2 2018 was 81% percent higher than it was for the previous year (source: Twitter – http://bit.ly/2z8V1V0)
- Most popular Tweet of 2018 – The honor continues to go to @BarackObama which received 4.56 million likes for the following tweet: https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/896523232098078720/photo/1
- According to eMarketer nearly 66 percent of the businesses who have 100 or more employees have a Twitter account and expect it to rise into 2018.
- Two most popular Twitter accounts (@katyperry and @justinbieber) who collectively have over 211 million followers (107 million – Perry and 104 million – Bieber) followers.
- Extra Stat: Top Twitter trend to watch – keep an eye on the following brands: @SouthwestAir who prides themselves about always being about people and that social media needs to be a reflection of the corporate culture. We also can’t say enough about our favorite brand, @Disney
Confidence in Social Media
One of the biggest challenges of any marketing manager is determining the core authenticity of their social media following. We feel this is an excellent article from Twitter addressing this issues in a very comprehensive and healthy way: Confidence in Social Media Followers
About Dan Noyes
Dan started his advertising and public relations career in Washington, DC with Ketchum, part of the Omnicom Group, before moving into digital marketing in the mid-1990s with a number of emerging growth companies around the world. Wanting to make a deeper commitment to a foundation of client-first and embodying a Whatever It Takes approach, Dan started Zephoria in early 2002 with a focus on search engine optimization, SEO friendly web development strategies, and eventually social media marketing. Dan consults with a number of large national brands including Rubbermaid, Bosch, Georgetown University, and a number of other highly recognized brands. Click here to connect with Dan.
To learn more about Twitter statistics you’ll love the information from Twitter themselves (http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/AMDA-2F526X/6351299748x0x982956/287E1B9D-2342-4735-9A8E-D0DA7A614CB1/Q2_2018_Slide_Presentation.pdf)