Twitter Top 10 Statistics
Twitter released the fourth quarter results for 2018 on February 7, 2019. We will let you know as soon as these new datapoints have officially been updated. We are finding that a large number of digital marketers are increasingly leveraging the power of Twitter to extend the message of their brand. To frankly and openly discuss the potential power of all social media channels email Dan Noyes at [email protected] to discuss how these changes could impact your brand.
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) Worldwide: 321 million Q4 2018 versus 326 for Q3 2018 and 335 million for Q2 2018. This also represents a 1 million MAU decrease in the United States from 67 million MAU to 66 million MAU. Please note this is the second straight quarterly adjustment. Quarter 1 2018 was 69 million MAU. In contrast, the fourth quarter of 2017 and first quarter 2018 numbers showed an increase of 6 million in total Global MAU from 330 million MAU (Q4’17) to 336 million (Q1’18) MAU. Previous increases may have been due, in part, to new technology improvements. According to Twitter, “In Q1, we further refined the timeline to display a broader set of Tweets from a person’s network and applied deep learning models to show the most relevant
Tweets first.” (source: Twitter – https://s22.q4cdn.com/826641620/files/doc_financials/2018/q4/Q4-2018-Selected-Company-Financials-and-Metrics.pdf)
- Twitter has increased their year over year Daily Active Users (DAU) by 9 percent year-over-year. We are excited to see how this growth in daily active users continues to change over time. (source: Twitter)
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) United States 66 million Q4 2018 (source: Twitter). This is a slight decrease from the previous quarter which showed 68 million for Q2 2018 and then 67 million for Q3 2018.
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) International is 255 million for Q4 2018 which is a modest decrease in MAUs over the previous quarter with was 259 million active international users. (source: Twitter)
- Daily Active User (DAU) year over year growth has increased 9 percent for 2018. Last year showed a 12 percent increase for 2017.
- Advertising cost-per-engagement (year over year) for Twitter has decreased by 14 percent for Q3 2018 (source: Twitter)
- Twitter advertising revenue for 2018 increased by 25 percent from 2017. Total advertising revenue increased for Q4 to $791 million with the US advertising increasing to $425 million for the quarter which represents a 24 percent increase (source: Twitter – https://s22.q4cdn.com/826641620/files/doc_financials/2018/q4/Q4-2018-Shareholder-Letter.pdf
- Most popular retweet of 2018 – The honor according to Wikipedia continues to go to @El Rubius which received 1,490,244 retweets for the following tweet: https://twitter.com/Rubiu5/status/1046131118385352704
- According to eMarketer nearly 66 percent of the businesses who have 100 or more employees have a Twitter account and expect it to rise into 2018.
- Two most popular Twitter accounts (@katyperry and @justinbieber) who collectively have over 211 million followers (107 million – Perry and 104 million – Bieber) followers.
- Extra Stat: Top Twitter trend to watch – keep an eye on the following brands: @SouthwestAir who prides themselves about always being about people and that social media needs to be a reflection of the corporate culture. We also can’t say enough about our favorite brand, @Disney
Let’s Get Connected
Zephoria is run by Dan Noyes, a digital marketing professional who started Zephoria back in the early 2000s. Dan can be reached directly at (585)230-9565 or via email at [email protected]
To learn more about Twitter statistics you’ll love the information from Twitter themselves (https://investor.twitterinc.com/static-files/4bfbf376-fefd-43cc-901e-aedd6a7f1daf)