The Twitter Top Ten
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) Worldwide: 328 million Q1 2017 (source: Twitter – http://bit.ly/2qIMDJx) an increase of over 9 million quarter-over-quarter. Some of this may be due to new technology improvements. According to Twitter, “In Q1, we further refined the timeline to display a broader set of Tweets from a person’s network and applied deep learning models to show the most relevant
- Twitter has increased their year over year Daily Active Users (DAU) by 14 percent year-over-year marking the fourth consecutive quarter of accelerating growth (source: Twitter)
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) United States 70 million Q1 2017 which is a seven percent increase from the previous year. (source: Twitter)
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) International is 259 million Q1 2017 which is a six percent increase over the previous year. (source: Twitter)
- Advertising cost-per-engagement for Twitter has decreased by 21 percent for Q4 2016 (source: Twitter – http://bit.ly/2oirtys)
- Twitter ad engagements for 2016 was 151 percent higher than it was for the previous year (source: Twitter – http://bit.ly/2oirtys)
- Most popular Tweet of 2016 – The word, which is Spanish for “lemonade,” was Retweeted more than 1.3 million times by the Spanish gamer elrubius who promised prizes to those who retweeted him. The next most popular was from Harry Styles who quoted a lyric from his ex-girlfriend Taylor Swift on his birthday “I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling 22.”
- According to eMarketer nearly 66 percent of the businesses who have 100 or more employees have a Twitter account and expect it to rise through 2017.
- Two most popular Twitter accounts (@katyperry and @justinbieber) who collectively have over 189.5 million followers (96.7 million – Perry and 92.8 million – Bieber) followers.
- Top Twitter trend to watch – keep an eye on the following brands: [email protected] who prides themselves about always being about people and that social media needs to be a reflection of the corporate culture. [email protected] and @MLBStatofTheDay show how even a large and highly fragmented brand can effectively leverage social media.