Twitter released the second quarter results for 2020 on July 23, 2020. We will let you know as soon as new data-points are updated moving forward. We are finding that a large number of digital marketers are increasingly leveraging the power of Twitter to extend the message of their brand. To frankly and openly discuss the potential power of all social media channels email Dan Noyes at [email protected] to discuss how these changes could impact your brand.
- Core Metric Reporting – Twitter has increased their year over year Monetizeable Daily Active Users (mDAU) by 34 percent to 186 million monetizable daily active users (mDAU) worldwide. According to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, this is the highest year-over-year growth rate since they began reporting mDAU growth. Revenue was $683 million in Q2, down 19 percent year over year. According to Twitter, this was reflecting a moderate recovery in advertising demand relative to the last three weeks of March. Last quarter they saw a 21 percent year over year growth. As noted above mDAU is the new metric that Twitter has made as a core benchmark metric.
- Highlighted Key Metrics:
- Q2 2020: Monetizable Daily Active Users (mDAU) Worldwide is 186 million for Q2 compared to 166 million Monetizable Daily Active Users (mDAU) Worldwide in Q1 and compared to 152 million for Q4. This is further compared to 133 million for the same period the previous year.
- Average mDAU for the United States in Q2 2020: 36 million in Q2 compared to 29 million in the same period last year and compared to 33 million for the previous quarter.
- Average International mDAU in Q2 2020: 150 million. This is compared to 110 million in the same period of the previous year and compared to 133 million in the previous quarter.
- Total revenue was approximately $683 million in Q2 2020, a decrease of 19% year over year.
- Advertising revenue totaled $562 million, down 23 percent year-over-year, for Q2 2020.
- Total ad engagements increased by 3 percent year-over-year for Q2 2020. This is extremely important because it is showing the power of effective digital marketing to produce user engagement.
- Cost per engagement or CPE decreased by 25 percent year-over-year for Q2 2020. While we all reassess our advertising budgets this is a reminder this can be a great time to reconsider Twitter especially when coupled with the increase in the ad engagement rate as indicated above.
- Most popular retweet – The honor according to Wikipedia goes to Yusaku Maezawa which received 4.41 million retweets for the following tweet: https://twitter.com/yousuck2020/status/1081544630754103296/photo/1
- Two most popular Twitter accounts (@BarackObama) who has over 121 million followers followed by @JustinBieber who has 112 million followers who is then followed by @KatyPerry with 108 million followers (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-followed_Twitter_accounts)
- According to Pew Research Center in 2019 around one-in-five U.S. Adults say they use Twitter
- Background: Twitter has said that mDAU consists of two parts: 1.) It shows when a Twitter user logs into their account or accesses Twitter on any given day through Twitter.com or a Twitter application and 2.) that they are able to see ads. This would avoid counting spam accounts and the traffic they represent. Jack Dorsey, Twitter’s CEO, said “…we continued to leverage machine learning to deliver more relevant content, driving increased usage of Twitter on a daily basis, with mDAU up 14% year-over-year.” To learn more you might want to read the Q2 2019 Letter to Shareholders (https://investor.twitterinc.com/financial-information/quarterly-results/default.aspx). We are excited to see how this growth in daily active users continues to change over time. (source: Twitter)
- Highlighted Key Metrics:
Legacy Reporting Metrics. The last time Twitter reported their Monthly Active Users (MAU) Worldwide: 330 million monthly active users Q1 2019 versus 321 for Q4 2018 and 326 million for Q3 2018. However, please note this was not reported for Q3 or Q4 2019 as noted below. The new key metric we’ll need to monitor moving forward, according to Twitter, will be mDAU or Monetizeable Daily Active Users as shared above.
Legacy Historical Trends (Provided due to data metrics provided): First-quarter 2019 metrics represent a 2 million MAU increase in the United States from 66 million MAU for Q4 2018. By comparison Quarter 1 2018 was 69 million MAU. In contrast, the fourth quarter of 2017 and first quarter 2018 numbers showed an increase of 6 million in total Global MAU from 330 million MAU (Q4’17) to 336 million (Q1’18) MAU. Previous increases may have been due, in part, to new technology improvements. According to Twitter, “In Q1, we further refined the timeline to display a broader set of Tweets from a person’s network and applied deep learning models to show the most relevant Tweets first.” (source: Twitter)
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) United States 68 million Q1 2019. This represents a two percent increase from the previous quarter which showed 66 million for Q4 2018 and then 67 million for Q3 2018. (source: Twitter)
- Twitter Monthly Active Users (MAU) International is 262 million for Q1 2019 which is a three percent increase in MAUs over the previous quarter with was 255 million active international users. (source: Twitter)
- Daily Active User (DAU) year over year growth has increased by 11 percent for 2019. This is an increase from Q4 year over year growth which represented a 9 percent growth.
Let’s Get Connected
To learn more about Twitter statistics you’ll love the information from Twitter themselves (https://s22.q4cdn.com/826641620/files/doc_financials/2020/q1/Q1-2020-Selected-Financials-and-Metrics.pdf)