February 3, 2023 – As I look back at the growth and changes of Facebook / META I am simply astounded at the growth of this communications superstar. One of the best ways to do this and put this into perspective is to dig deep into Facebook / META Investor Relations data and track the growth and insights of the company. As you do this, you will be astounded. As a business and marketing consultant for the past twenty years, I find that I oftentimes embrace META & Facebook, while at others, I have tried to identify how the brand fits into our client’s marketing plans in a way that makes sense versus just believing the hype. It is a brand I want to like, but sometimes I get confused about how it fits into the big picture. However, big-picture analytics can’t be ignored. Just look at the core Facebook / META analytics below, and then let’s discuss how this might make sense for you and your company.
Facebook Statistics Q4 2022 | Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2022 Operational and Other Financial Highlights
- Family daily active people (DAP) – DAP was 2.96 billion on average for December 2022, an increase of 5% year-over-year.
- Family monthly active people (MAP) – MAP was 3.74 billion as of December 31, 2022, an increase of 4% year-over-year.
- Facebook daily active users (DAUs) – DAUs were 2.00 billion on average for December 2022, an increase of 4% year- over-year.
- Facebook monthly active users (MAUs) – MAUs were 2.96 billion as of December 31, 2022, an increase of 2% year- over-year.
- Ad impressions and price per ad – In the fourth quarter of 2022, ad impressions delivered across our Family of Apps increased by 23% year-over-year, and the average price per ad decreased by 22% year-over-year. For the full year 2022, ad impressions increased by 18% year-over-year, and the average price per ad decreased by 16% year-over-year.
- Revenue – Revenue was $32.17 billion and $116.61 billion, a decrease of 4% and 1% year-over-year for the fourth quarter and full year 2022.
- Headcount – Headcount was 86,482 as of December 31, 2022, an increase of 20% year-over-year. The reported headcount includes a substantial majority of the approximately 11,000 employees impacted by the layoff we announced in November 2022, who will no longer be reflected in our headcount by the end of the first quarter of 2023.
This information comes directly from Facebook Investor relations data which we would encourage you to utilize in your research.
The significance of these numbers are huge and cannot be underestimated. Facebook META must be considered as a serious marketing platform, but I would assert that it’s not just as a marketing platform it is also as a communications platform. We need to consider this marketing channel as a way to effectively way to share your communications message. While I focus more on coaching and informing marketing professionals, I feel we can never forget that Facebook is a way to build communication connections, to share information, and help educate our audiences when appropriate. In fact, there are times when the META platform can be used to communicate versus focusing on simply advertising and messaging promotion.
Understanding Facebook in the Social Media Universe