Snapchat’s growth is simply astounding as is its revenue and we had to expand our list to more than 10 incredible stats to consider. With well over 125 million people watching news stories on Snapchat this year, and more than half of the U.S. Gen Z population is watching news content on Discover marketers can’t ignore the role of Snapchat in their digital communication efforts. There is no denying that Snapchat is a force that digital marketers need to consider especially during the age of COVID.
Snapchat Statistics for Q3 2020
- Usage: Daily Active Users increased to 249 million Daily Active Users which is an 18 percent YoY Growth in Q3 2020. Comparatively, Snapchat saw 238 million in Q2 2020 from 229 million in Q1 2020 and compared to 218 million in Q4 2019. There were 203 million daily active users (DAU) in Q2 2019 and 190 million daily active users (DAU) in Q1 2019 and 186 million in Q3 2018.
- The average number of Snaps created every day in Q3 was over 4 Billion which represents a growth of 25% year-over-year.
- Snapchat added 39 million Daily Active Users in Q3 2020. According to Snapchat DAUs increased sequentially and year-over-year in each of North America, Europe, and Rest of the World.
- 90 percent of the US market aged from 13 to 24 use Snap. Expanding this audience to 13 to 34-Year-Old US population represents 75 percent of the audience.
- The average daily number of times Snapchatters watched Shows increased by 50% year-over-year in Q3 2020.
- Total daily time spent by Snapchatters over the age of 35 watching/engaging with Discover content increased by 40% year-over-year in Q2 2020.
- Average number of Daily Snaps: 4 billion Snaps each day in Q3 2020 – According to Snap Inc, “On average, more than 4 billion Snaps were created each day.”
- Snapchat COVID-19 statistic to watch: “Communication with friends increased by over 30% in the last week of March compared to the last week of January, with more than a 50% increase in some of the geographies that were most impacted.” We will continue to adjust this information as we learn more.
- As of April 2020, Snapchat reached 90 percent of all 13-24 year-olds and 75 percent of all 13-34-year-olds in the U.S. This demographic may be less brand loyal and more likely to follow trends than other demographics. Snapchat also may have a challenge in penetrating other older demographics but the most recent data included in this report are showing progress in this effort. Gen Z is comprised of Snapchatters aged 13-24.
- DAUs were up sequentially and year-over-year in each of North America, Europe, and the Rest of World.
- Global average revenue per user or ARPU year-over-year was at $8.29 an increase of 32 percent YoY.
- Revenue increased 52% to $679 million in Q3 compared to the prior year. This is amazing during these challenging economic times.
- More than 40% of the US Gen Z population watched sports Discover content on Snapchat last month.
- Over 200 million Snapchaters use their new Snap Map every month.
- Snapchat Employee headcount: 2734 employees based upon public data for 2019
- According to Snapchat, Snapchatters use their app over 30 times per day and spend an average of 30 minutes on the app.
- The Snapchat audience over the age of 35 watching content on Discover every day has grown over 40% year-over-year. This is something to watch as the Snapchat audience matures.
- Archive Data: Users 25 and older visited Snapchat approximately 12 times and spent approximately 20 minutes on Snapchat every day on average in the quarter ended December 31, 2016. Users younger than 25 visited Snapchat over 20 times and spent over 30 minutes on Snapchat every day on average during the same period.
- Archive Data: Since Snapchat skews to a younger audience it is vital that we consider the implications for what social media means to centennials. The modern implications of social media on young people was driven home when we saw in the CNN 2015 documentary that eighth-graders were checking social media 100 times a day. With that in mind, Centennials view social media as a virtual platform for building a sense of greater community. (Source: The Futures Company)
- 68 percent of Centennials agree that “technology has made us feel more connected to each other”
- 64 percent of Centennials say that they feel they like to keep up with what is going on in the world and social media is one of the chief ways of staying connected.
- 59 percent of Centennials could use the statement “high tech is so much a part of our lives” to describe their generation.
The Quarterly report can be viewed here: https://investor.snap.com/~/media/Files/S/Snap-IR/press-release/q2-2020-earnings-press-release.pdf
You can access the full Snap insights at https://investor.snap.com/company-profile
To stay up on the most pressing social media insights, including those coming from Snapchat please subscribe below or contact Dan Noyes at (585) 230-9565 to discuss your current digital marketing projects.