Snapchat’s growth is simply astounding as is its revenue and we had to expand our list to more than 10 incredible stats to consider. There is no denying that Snapchat is a force that every digital marketer now needs to consider.
Snapchat Statistics for Q1 2020
- Usage: Daily Active Users increased to 229 million in Q1 2020 compared to 218 million in Q4 2019. This is an increase of 39 million or 20% year-over-year. There were 203 million daily active users (DAU) in Q2 2019 and 190 million daily active users (DAU) in Q1 2019 and 186 million in Q3 2018.
- Snapchat added 11 million Daily Active Users since the fourth quarter of 2019.
- The Snapchat community spends an average of 30 minutes on Snapchat every day.
- Total daily time spent by Snapchatters watching Discover increased by 35% year-over-year in Q1 2020.
- Total daily time spent by Snapchatters over the age of 25 watching Discover increased by 60% year-over-year in Q4 2019.
- Average number of Daily Snaps: 4 billion Snaps each day in Q1 2020 – According to Snap Inc, “On average, more than 4 billion Snaps were created each day in Q1 2020.” (https://investor.snap.com/news-releases/2019/07-23-2019-211107490).
- Snapchat COVID-19 statistic to watch: “Communication with friends increased by over 30% in the last week of March compared to the last week of January, with more than a 50% increase in some of the geographies that were most impacted.”
- As of March 2019, Snapchat reached 90 percent of all 13-24 year-olds and 75 percent of all 13-34-year-olds in the U.S. This demographic may be less brand loyal and more likely to follow trends than other demographics. Snapchat also may have a challenge in penetrating other older demographics.
- DAUs were up sequentially and year-over-year in each of North America, Europe, and the Rest of World.
- Average revenue per user or ARPU increased by 20% to $2.02 in Q1 2020 compared to $1.68 in Q4 2019.
- 2019 revenue increased 44% to $1.857 billion for Q1 2020.
- Average time spent on Snapchat: approximately 30 minutes a day
- Snapchat Employee headcount: 3,427 employees based upon public data
- According to Snapchat, Snapchatters use their app over 20 times per day and spend an average of 30 minutes on the app creating over 4 BILLION Snaps daily (Source: https://forbusiness.snapchat.com/)
- The Snapchat audience watching content on Discover every day has grown over 35% year-over-year.
- Archive Data: Users 25 and older visited Snapchat approximately 12 times and spent approximately 20 minutes on Snapchat every day on average in the quarter ended December 31, 2016. Users younger than 25 visited Snapchat over 20 times and spent over 30 minutes on Snapchat every day on average during the same period.
- Archive Data: Since Snapchat skews to a younger audience it is vital that we consider the implications for what social media means to centennials. The modern implications of social media on young people was driven home when we saw in the CNN 2015 documentary that eighth-graders were checking social media 100 times a day. With that in mind, Centennials view social media as a virtual platform for building a sense of greater community. (Source: The Futures Company)
- 68 percent of Centennials agree that “technology has made us feel more connected to each other”
- 64 percent of Centennials say that they feel they like to keep up with what is going on in the world and social media is one of the chief ways of staying connected.
- 59 percent of Centennials could use the statement “high tech is so much a part of our lives” to describe their generation.
The annual report can be viewed here: https://investor.snap.com/~/media/Files/S/Snap-IR/reports-and-presentations/2019-annual-report.pdf as well as https://investor.snap.com/news-releases/2020/02-04-2020-210906650
Source for key data points: https://investor.snap.com/news-releases/2019/10-22-2019-210926632
You can access the full Snap insights at https://investor.snap.com/company-profile
To stay up on the most pressing social media insights, including those coming from Snapchat please subscribe below or contact Dan Noyes at (585) 230-9565 to discuss your current digital marketing projects.