Summary: As we head into a New Year it is a great reminder to take a step back, assess the last year and dream big for the year ahead. Bonny Simi from JetBlue Technology Ventures, shares some amazing insights.
“Go to a good college. Be in the Olympics. Work in TV and become a pilot. These were the goals of a 14-year-old girl who grew up in a town tucked into the mountains just east of Los Angeles. That girl went on to compete in three Olympics, become a sports commentator, an airplane pilot and three-time Stanford graduate. Listen how Bonny Simi, now the president of JetBlue Technology Ventures, did it all.”
Listen to Bonny share her passion (click to listen)
Developing An Entrepreneurial Mind – Lessons from Bonny
- Dream Big. You have to have a dream for a dream to come true-set goals for yourself as if you were 100% guaranteed to achieve them-if you donʼt try you wonʼt achieve it.
- Develop Transferable Skills. Be someone who is excellent at something that is transferable. Ideally, a skill that is transferable to many different areas of your life/work ( for example Bonny was a gifted writer which in turn helped her become an Olympic torch bearer.) Make everything connected.
- Take risks. If you believe that you will succeed then other people will believe you will too. You will exude a nearly palpable confidence. Reach out and do it even if you donʼt know how to do it! Learn by doing, ask questions, and find a subject matter expert.
- Donʼt let fear or doubt hold you back from taking advantage of opportunities.
- Do things in parallel because it lowers your risk. Pursue two dreams at once just at different points-so get established in one dream and then pursue another because you have your first dream as a fallback.
- Follow your heart and passions.
- Think about the company and the culture of where you want to get hired. Find a company that fits you and your passion. Life is more than a paycheck so find where you fit and where you want to be. Take risks.
- Love what you do. If you truly love what you do you will never work a day in your life. Find what you want to ultimately do and work towards that goal. Keep your eyes on the goal and stay focused